Re: Topband: Using wires from large trees as verticals?

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Using wires from large trees as verticals?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:02:39 -0800
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 06:03:37 -0500, Carl K9LA wrote:

>>I've seen anecdotal comments that a vertical radiator very close to
>>a tree trunk will see loss from the tree. I've seen no SCIENCE on
>>this, and A/B comparisons would be required to be meaningful.
>>
>I agree - it seems most of the work I' ve seen is with foliage\, not the
>trunk itself.

>Attached is an interesting Technical Correspondence from long ago. Some
>good A/B compariosns.

Excellent work. The next step, of course, is to rig one antenna in the
clear and one next to a tree, and do A/B comparisons on the air. I have
the space and the trees. Perhaps one day I'll do it. :)

>BTW, one of my coworkers at Raytheon, Greg Kephart, is an audio
>aficionado, and attended your audio lecture when you were in Chicago.

I've heard and enjoyed a couple of your excellent presentations at W9DXCC,
including the most recent one.

73,

Jim K9YC