Re: Topband: Using wires from large trees as verticals?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Using wires from large trees as verticals?
From: "VE3MGY" <vy2mgy@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:54:41 -0500
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:56:49 -0800, Andreas Hofmann wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to make a wire hanging from a tree work just like
>>the titanex vertical?

I don't know about the Titanex vertical but I have been using a 1/4 wave
Inverted L for 160 for years now and it runs up through a hardwood tree [
Manitoba Maple I believe ]  and is fed against 140 1/4 wave radials. The
vertical portion is 80' and then about 55' runs on an angle over to another
tree [ pine ] at 55'. It seems to work very well for me. I am also using
trees to suspend a full wave delta loop for 80m and another one for 40
meters, again both seem to work ok. Without getting "warm and fuzzy" and
making outrageous claims that I cannot support, I can say that it loads very
well and the DX seem to have no problem hearing me most of the time only
running 100 watts [ and sometimes 5 watts ] . The fact that all the antennas
are located on a 60' hill that slopes away from the QTH in just about every
direction no doubt is also a big benefit as well. Angain its better than
nothing.

73
Brian
VE3MGY