Topband: Window Yes! Now more than ever

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Window Yes! Now more than ever
From: Preston Smith <n6ss@inbox.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 11:58:05 -0800
Reflectees

Majority of the nay sayers are northern hemisphere upper tier
stations who can work all the DX they want on their run QRG with
a quick pounce to pick up a multiplier.  The fact that the CQWW
is a world wide contest seems to have been lost.

The value of a window is apparent for our friends south of the
equator.  To appreciate their predicament just imagine what we
would be faced with if the premier 160m contests were held in
July and August.  Our participation and scores would collapse.
A window allows FO8, VK, ZL, ZS etc. etc. to participate under
summertime condx and establish a run frequency of their own, make
many more QSOs and enjoy the contest more to the benefit of all
of us.  Now with few exceptions they are reduced to S & P and
hoping a run station can hear them.  Also our 2nd tier stations
and little pistols could then work more DX to the south.  In my
view a little pistol that makes 100 contacts is every bit as
important as a big gun that wins his zone year after year.

Obviously as the rule is written in the ARRL contest (nil in CQWW)
the term "Intercontinental QSOs" leaves the window open for full
time running by W/VE or Euro.  The rule must be revised.  Whatever
when/if the rule is changed some participants will be unhappy.

Today's transceivers permit run frequencies separated by only
250-300 Hz.  The band has more room than ever before.  A 5 kHz
window will not be missed.  And if there still isn't enough room
as Gary K9AY sez improve your game.  Make that antenna match
from 1800-1900 kHz or beyond.

In my view ARRL should rewrite the rule and make window compliance
mandatory and CQ should re-establish the window and do the same.
In addition to scrutinizing computer logs for SO/SOA violators
determining that a station improperly used the window for running
would be even simpler.  The penalty - just invalidate the QSOs
and rescore.  That would be the end of window violations by any
serious contester.

The fact that 99% of big guns do not run in the window is a tacit
admission that the window exists and has some good purpose.

Good Luck in the Contest

Pres, N6SS

Share photos & screenshots in seconds...
TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if1
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK