Topband: Musings of a DX-Window Intruder

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Musings of a DX-Window Intruder
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 11:14:54 -0400

We need to emphasis the DX-Window enforcement during a contest has a
different impact on participants which vary depending on locations.
Today's highly directional Beverages, modern equipment of high
selectivity, as some posts have correctly empathized, have significantly
reduced the importance of a  DX-Window.  Today, IMHO, it is a half
century old anachronism that should probably be stored away with your
Vibroplex and some old spare 807's.

During the recent 160 meter DX contest  for me there was no need for a
Window for Europeans at all as so many were stronger than NA stations
who disappeared when I switched on the EU phased Beverages. The general
rule is to find a place where one can get a good run going and hold on
to it as long a possible.  My log shows nice European runs on 1818,
1812.5 as well as 1828.9Khz.  In my case the Europeans were calling me
and not calling CQ.  So how does the use of one frequency over the
others make any difference?

  Actually, were I could have used a window was for west coast US
stations who were not that strong and other NA stations would prevent a
reasonable flow on contacts.  My point here is a DX window can never be
fairly impossed on a geographic basis.  On interpretation of the rule
would be that the "intercontinental" waiver rule would permit PJ2, PJ4
and P4 all to sit in the window and work NA stations while I would be
prohibited from the same thing.  Distance means nothing here since they
are closer to much of the Midwest and western states than the U.S.
Virgin Islands.  So how is this fair?  They already get 10 points or
double what I get for every station in NA they work because it was
determined they are geographically in South America despite the fact
that until a few months ago they were politically and culturally an
integral part of the Caribbean chain of countries. They all hear better
than I, have better signals than I, and can work JA's simplex till the
cows come home because they miss the Auroral barrier by a few degrees
more than I but enough to make a big difference.

My point here is that when you create strident rules like this, and
don't take into account the vast geographic variances across the
DXosphere you create a rule if enforced that does more harm than good in
contests. So let me get this straight:  The DX-Window rule allows a
Cyprus station to work all the close by European countries from the
DX-Window but prohibits a nearby Crete station from doing the same
thing.  Does this make any sense to anyone?

For general DX-ing, outside of major contests, choice of frequencies are
well publish or  announced, the transmit frequency of rarer DX stations
are kept relatively clear and the commerce of DX contacts flows well.
So  for most of the year the DX-Window thing is not even on the
table...but when contest season rolls around it reemerges.  Now the
concept of punishing Window "violators" is proposed.   Sure that will
give some big gun contesters  a second thought but for others,
especially if a needed state or intra-continental country had appeared,
losing a few points in the contest would hardly be much of a deterrent.

During the CQ 160 meter contest I failed to work North Dakota.  Had I
heard one in the window finishing a contact with a  a European, and had
I called him for the few seconds to perfect the WAS, I would have broken
some rule which would cause a scoring computer to deduct points...."Come
On Man" !  Is this really what you have in mind?

The DX-Window, back when it was created for some east coast big guns  on
behalf of  a few G stations (using 10 watts to a Joystick) to work a few
East Coast regulars, has totally lost its importance today.  So in the
words of Tony Soprano, "Fuggitaboutit"!

73,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK