Re: Topband: We need better preamps for 160 because FT8 activity

To: n0tt1@juno.com, n4is@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Topband: We need better preamps for 160 because FT8 activity
From: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 02:25:30 -0400
I have built, for DXpedition use, a very selective RX front-end for 160 m for simultaneously operating CW and FT8 on shared TX and RX antennas with 800 feet of separation. The LC filter had 8 dB loss at 1825 kHz and it was about 10 dB down from that at 1840 kHz (-8dB at 1825 and -18dB at 1840). That is a 10 dB difference, which should be enough to prevent a good preamp from saturating.

(I also built a XTAL filter that was 40 dB down, but only had a 2.5 kHz bandwidth -- OK for a DXpedition that can nominate its RX frequency.)

73,
George,
AA7JV