Re: Topband: We need better preamps for 160 because FT8 activity

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: We need better preamps for 160 because FT8 activity
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 02:06:33 -0700
George's work on this system is first class engineering, and has revolutionized TopBand expeditions, allowing simultaneous use of the two best small signal modes, CW and FT8, by expeditions transmitting high power. He developed the system so that the expedition wouldn't miss the one or two "magic" nights during a 2-3 week trip that generated most of the QSOs.

But that's a minor achievement in comparison to his Radio In A Box, that greatly reduces the difficulty of activating islands and other locations with extremely challenging access. Again, engineering at the highest possible level. He's been field-testing both systems for contests from his island in C6 for years, and is currently sailing through Oceania on another field test. Radio in A Box could have turned that recently very disappointing trip to a very challenging island into a howling success!

George is one of those geniuses who live among us and have done so much to advance the state of the art. I'd like to start a movement to nominate him for the greatest award the ARRL and world ham radio has to offer for technical achievement!

73, Jim K9YC