Re: Topband: We need better preamps for 160 because FT8 activity

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: We need better preamps for 160 because FT8 activity
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 20:15:21 -0700
On 5/26/2023 7:53 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
Saw the interview.  Fascinating.  The guys have done a ton of work and that approach makes sense for these environmentally hyper-sensitive QTH.

Makes sense for lots of locations. Using batteries to buffer a smaller gen that can support a power amp but run in economode means dragging much less weight and space for the gen and fuel. George first used that about ten years ago using DC powered power amps. Once I told him about RIB a couple of years ago, AG6EE has been doing both it with his setup to activate difficult VHF/UHF grids in the Rockies, the Sierra, and the high desert. He's also built big amps that run on 48VDC and are water cooled. He's doing Es, tropo, meteors, and EME.

73, Jim K9YC