Hello!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Hello!
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 12:25:47 -0400

>Actually, I think the back-to-back bearings, and the mast between them,
>would have to support the full moment from the antennas and tower
>sections above - enough so that I'd be reluctant to climb above
>the bearing...

Okay, Tony --

     IMO if you use a high strength (100K psi or more) 2 or even 3 inch mast
secured with accessory shelves and thrust bearings, it would be very brute
strong.  The amount of tower would be additional wind load on the mast but
wouldn't really be much different than a naked mast as far as total capacity.
 The mast would still be the weak link in the chain.

        Maybe its more psychological.  Do you climb masts now?  Think of the
tower section as a mast with a built-in ladder.

       Interesting topic though.

73,  Steve  K7LXC