Trylon / Titan Towers??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Trylon / Titan Towers??
From: fdavis@voyager.newcomm.net (frank davis)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 08:37:22 -0300
Scott....There are many Trylon towers in this area for ham and commercial
use...mostly commercial for RCMP and Fisheries Dept etc . They are very
very strong and built for the high wind conditions and ice loading found in
most parts of Canada.   In my view of r a self-supporting non telescopic
tower you can't go wrong with one of them.
Winds in Nfld during the winter sustain  frequently at 100kmph and many
times gust to 110 - 120 kmph.   During spring we often get heavy icing condx
allong with the wind.    I lost a Telerex yagi  3yrs ago in one of those blows.

73 Frank VO1HP
St John's
NFLD
(Check the atlas for my location)

At 23:23 1996-08-12 -0500, Scott Neader wrote:
>I am still hoping (praying) to put up a self-supporting tower yet this
>year.  As background, I have a small corner city lot.  I don't think I have
>room for guys, plus the XYL frowns on them.  (Oh, she likes guys, just not
>the kind that hold towers up).
>
>My goal is to be half-way competitive in domestic contests like NAQP, so I
>don't have to pack-up my station and go guest-op somewhere.  I'd like to
>put up a killer tribander and possibly a 402-CD or the tribander would have
>40m.  I might consider side-mounting a small tribander for the second
>radio.  I'd probably do an inverted vee for 80 and/or load the tower.  Not
>sure for 160... either load the tower or an inverted L.  I'd like to be up
>around 60 to 70 feet. (remember, no guys and no roof bracket).
>
>Anyway, I asked ya'll about a used Hygain 52ft crank-up, and most everyone
>had good things to say about it, but a few got me worried that I could
>over-load it pretty quickly with the big tribander (+40m?) I plan to put
>up.
>
>Now my question:  KE2VB mentioned that a lot of guys on the east coast have
>put up Titan Self Supporting Towers, made by Trylon Mfg. of Ontario.  I
>called Trylon (519-669-5421) and got Jon Martin's voice mail.  I asked for
>info to be faxed, and he did.  WOW!!  Cool stuff!!  Check these Max. Wind
>Thrust Values:
>
>                      TITAN MAXIMUM WIND THRUST VALUES
>
>MODEL  MAX HEIGHT         70MPH              85MPH
>-----  ----------    ---------------    ---------------
>T200      96ft       200lbs/15 sq ft          n/a
>T300      88ft       300lbs/22 sq ft    110lbs/ 6 sq ft
>T400      80ft       460lbs/34 sq ft    240lbs/12 sq ft
>T500      72ft       600lbs/45 sq ft    450lbs/22 sq ft
>T600      64ft       800lbs/60 sq ft    700lbs/35 sq ft
>T700      56ft      1000lbs/80 sq ft    900lbs/45 sq ft
>T800      48ft      1300lbs/99 sq ft   1130lbs/58 sq ft
>
>It goes together like an erector set... so it ships in pieces, which should
>make shipping cheaper plus easier to unload.  The info says I'll have to
>use 6 to 7 yards of concrete, depending on how big the bottom section is.
>
>Any experience with Trylon??  Any other suggestions??  Any critiques of my
>goal and plans?  I'll summarize and repost if the information warrants it.
>
>73 - Scott KA9FOX

>INTERNET SOLUTIONS - Affordable web page design and storage
>Scott Neader (608)788-1234 / FAX (608)787-0100 / neader@centuryinter.net
>Internet Solutions web: http://www.QTH.com/is   Ham web: http://www.QTH.com

FRANK  DAVIS