Trylon / Titan Towers??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Trylon / Titan Towers??
From: ocker@chasind.com (Charlie Ocker)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 11:27:33 -0500
Ed, WA2SRQ comments:

> AES has prices for these in their latest catalog.
>
> Has anyone tried climbing one of these things?  I noticed that the
> cross bracing is all diagonal -- there is nothing horizontal to stand
> on.

Yup.  K5OJI (Texas Instruments ARC, Dallas) has 2 of 'em, both 70'.  Actually,
they are NOT the recent "amateur offering" of the SSV series... they are MUCH
older than that, probably close to 30 years old now.  A Rohn engineer visited
our site in summer '94 before they were relocated.  He said that they were
pre-SSV series, and out of production, but are essentially "the same" as SSV.

I had the pleasure of climbing both of these towers numerous times.  It is not
too difficult, one just has to be a bit carefull.  These are really STOUT
towers.  Wish I had one!

73,
Charlie  KD5PJ/9        ocker@chasind.com