Rohn bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rohn bolts
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 10:19:58 EST
From:
Fred Hopengarten, K1VR
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105 * 617/259-0088
e-mail:  k1vr@juno.com
Big antennas, high in the sky, are better than small ones, low.

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996 00:49:25 -0500 K7LXC@aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 96-12-16 23:35:05 EST, K1VR wrote:
>
>>  A couple of tips:
>>
>>1.  Over order by 10%, to allow yourself to drop a few into the snow
>and
>>still get the project done.
>>
>>2.  An additional part of that "over order" will be used up as some
>items
>>"gall."  There are compounds which limit galling, but you'll still
>waste
>>a few nuts and bolts.

>>will loosen up.
>>
>4.  Use SAE Grade 5, fine threaded bolts per Rohn spec.
>
>5.  Use a never seize compound on the SS nut and bolt threads and
>you'll have
>very few galling and removal problems.
>
>6.  I'd still use the Rohn hardware.  Despite rusty outward
>appearances, the
>threads of the  hardware I've removed has been almost always in FB
>condition.
> They're only $2.95 a set from you-know-who.

K1VR:  I think this is a worthy thread.

        A tip on acquiring "Never Seize":  It is sold by John Deere
dealers throughout the U.S. and Canada, and perhaps around the world, in
a small can with screw top and a John Deere label.

        A question:  Does anyone have a theory as to why Rohn uses fine
thread on tower bolts?

        A comment:  When 1/4 or 5/16 inch SS galls, I've never had a
problem breaking the bolt.