Rohn bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rohn bolts
From: AA7NX@aol.com (AA7NX@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 18:11:49 -0500

<<      A tip on acquiring "Never Seize":  It is sold by John Deere
 dealers throughout the U.S. and Canada, and perhaps around the world, in
 a small can with screw top and a John Deere label.

        A question:  Does anyone have a theory as to why Rohn uses fine
 thread on tower bolts?

I use "Never seize" or a similar substance frequently on my race car. It is
readily available at your local auto parts store.

Regarding the use of fine threads, they allow a much better application of
torque to the fastener. The finer threads are much like gear reduction,
providing more mechanical advantage and a smoother tensioning. I would think
that on a tower, this would allow a more uniform tensioning and possibly
lower likelyhood of the nuts working loose. Other thoughts?

73,
Mike  K7NT