Tower grounding.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tower grounding.
From: n4xy@avana.net (Ed Tanton)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 16:13:05 -0500
It is my impression that tower parts passing through concrete into the
ground tend to cause the concrete to explode when struck by lightning. I
believe that the practice is to ALWAYS insulate the tower from slightly
above the concrete to the end-which normally is still within the concrete
shell. Then, when there is a strike, it takes the proverbial 'path of least
resistance' through the ground cables attached to-I believe-each leg. Based
on everything I have heard and read over the years, I would definately NOT
mount the tower in the manner you describe. Season's Greetings.

At 02:50 PM 12/20/96 -0500, Gene Smith wrote:

>Fellow reflector members:
>
>I know that a tower mounted ON, not in/through a
>concrete base needs a grounding cable.  But in
>the case where the tower, Rohn HDBX-48 in my
>case, will be mounted onto metal stubs (BXB-8)
>that go through the concrete and are touching
>the ground underneath, is it still necessary
>for an additional grounding cable?
>
>I've got a feeling that there are some codes
>governing this but I just don't know where to
>turn to get them.  The Rohn manual for the
>HDBX-48 doesn't specify anything in the way of
>grounding.
>
>Thanks in advance for advice!
>
>Gene
>WD8OZL
>

>--
>Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

72/73

Ed Tanton N4XY      EMAIL: n4xy@avana.net      TEL: (770)579-3933 V/MBX/FAX
189 Pioneer Trail, Marietta, GA  30068-3466

QRP-ARCI#7663    G-QRP#6779    OK-QRP#172    QRP-L#758    AdvRC#140
NORCAL#1779       NCDXF              SEDXC

Life Member:  ARRL     AMSAT     IDRA     INDEXA     QCWA     URL: Coming Soon

"Think you can, think you can't: either way you're right!"  Henry Ford