Cold Temps & Guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Cold Temps & Guys
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 10:15:12 -0500

>Ok...Here is another dumb questions I've always wondered about!

      This isn't a dumb question at all!

>How does cold temperatures affect guy wires?  Do they shrink in cold and
>expand in hot?

     Yes they do.  The only example I have is for 1/4 inch EHS; maybe one of
our more engineering enlightened tower heads can fill in the 3/16 info (I've
got the formulas if anyone's interested).

>Now...  I use to have 1/4 inch guys on the tower several years ago that dod
>just that.  Well, this time when I put up the tower I purchase new guy wire
>(the other stuff was hard to work with and I didn't need all that guys wire
>for a 60 foot tower...besides, I hade saddle and clamps...so I moved on to
>grips).  I've been checking them now that the temp has been at 5 to 10
>degrees for the past week and they have not tighted like the old guys.

     Here's the 1/4 inch EHS info:

Temp.   Pounds tension
120       502#
90         583#
60         665#
30         747#
0           829#

These figures assume initial tension of 665# at 60 degrees F and for guys
which are 45 degrees to the horizontal.

     You can see how they contract in cold weather and the tension goes up.
 If you do your erection in any of those temperatures, the initial tension
should correspond to this temperature corrected figure.

73,  Steve  K7LXC