Cold Temps & Guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Cold Temps & Guys
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 17:24:32 -0500

> I think the question refers top tower HEIGHT, not shrinkage
>in width.

    Yes, I agree.  My point was that these are relatively small towers in the
overall scheme of things and that the tower shrinkage/expansion in the most
practical sense isn't worth worrying about.

     Since 95% of hams DO NOT know what their guy tension is in the first
place, it is much more helpful to have an idea of the guy wire tensions then
it is to split hairs about 1/2 inch of tower expansion and contraction.  And
with the precision of available tension measuring devices, it's STILL not
going to make any difference.  Certainly it is not in the perview of amateur
tower builders; I'd be real happy if everyone knew within 200 pounds what
their guy tension is. Tower shrinkage/expansion is not worth bothering about
in the arena of amateur radio towers.

73,  Steve  K7LXC