Cold Temps & Guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Cold Temps & Guys
From: wayne@campnet.nb.ca (Wayne Alexander)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 18:24:32 -0400 (AST)
I certainly agree with this John.  I just didn't like the sarcastic
response I got for my question which was "is tower shrinkage allowed
for".
Assuming the guys are of a harder materilal than the tower, then they
will contract more than the tower so without any calculations (wild
guess), guys at 60 degrees with respect to the ground, there won't be
much difference in guy tension.

73, Wayne VE9ST

> If the guys are vertical (not very effective as a guy wire) and the guys and
> tower have the same coefficient then they change the same and there
> is no differential.  So a typical guyfalls somewhere in between the
> two scenarios.  Hence the spec at 45 degrees.
>
> 73  John  W0UN

D. Wayne Alexander         1 506 752 2290               Server Administrator
Wilson's Beach           wayne@campnet.nb.ca               [ CampNet ]
New Brunswick                                            Wilson's Beach, NB
E0G 3L0                        VE9ST                      Canada   E0G 3L0