[TowerTalk] thimble gap too narrow

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] thimble gap too narrow
From: zettel@libby.org (Steve Zettel)
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 17:05:27 -0700
Pete,

Now that you have opened up all your thimbles, may I suggest an
alternative: I use a shackle to bridge the turnbuckle and the thimble in
the end of my guywires.

Advantages:

1. No need to open the end gap in thimbles.

2. Allows easy detachment of guywires at the ground level to raise/lower
antennas, replace guys in the event of damage, etc.

Disadvantages:

1. Additional cost for the shackles (though minor when compared to other
components. Also, cost can be minimized by shopping at a professional
rigging shop instead of ham radio outlets).

2. Potential failure point (unlikely, with properly sized shackles; bent
and rebent thimbles are probably more likely to fail).

3. Potential vandalism point (lockwire and/or peen a thread or two on the
screw -in pin of the shackle. Evaluate your vunerability to vandalism in
the first place -- a set of bolt cutters in the hands of a hooligan is
quicker than unscrewing several shackle pins).

For what it's worth. . .

73,

Steve Zettel  KJ7CH
Libby, MT (Where the "Code of the West" still applies to tower vandals)