[TowerTalk] TVI problems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TVI problems
From: twoway@scoden.ma.ultranet.com (Scott Bullock)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 05:42:18 -0400 (EDT)
Hello Fellow Towertalkians,

Here is a good expereince that I had last week with a subject that many
people are experiencing like me- TVI.

Since getting active again from this qth, I suddenly found a TVI problem
with my two neighbors on each side of me. One had bad interference on his
telephones-both fixed and cordless.  The other had bad herringbone/voice
interference in his tv set.

I had been running a Bencher low pass filter on my station, and when I got
the first TVI complaints. it was during the Mass QSO party contest (running
stations). I had also been experiencing BAD TVI on one of my own sets in my
house. Tried the usual avenue of putting Radio Shack high-pass filters and
grounding the hell out of the sets, that was a total waste of time, tried
chokes on lines, still no success. The interference was getting into my tv
through the cable lead, and also through the power line (all close proximity
to my tribander)

I called KCOM for some telephone filters for one neighbor, installed them,
and voila-that problem solved. Simple plug-in installation.

I then called ICE for their common mode high-pass filters. I had seen them
referred to on the FCC home page.  While talking to them, I found out that
they make a low pass filter with a cutoff frequency around 35 mhz, by the
time you get to 50 mhz, the attenuation is >100 db. This is versus other
manufacturers that only offer approximately 80 db attenuation.  I bought two
high pass filters and a new low pass filter. These suckers REALLY work!
Simple installation, plug in and ground (I used the AC ground off the
closest outlet) Did the same for the neighbor, and NO discernable TVI on
either tv!! I also got a common mode AC interference filter for my tv set
(#15-1111) from Radio Shack and installed it on my tv set. NOTHING at all
even under full power with the amp! My wife doesn't bang on the floor or
yell and scream anymore when I work DX !

The ICE/KCOM companies really have a good product!

ICE part #'s 430b-high pass filter ($52.00), #421 low pass filter ($54.00)

If you have TVI problems, RUN, don't walk to the nearest telephone and call
these people. I don't have KCOM's tel # handy, but ICE is at 800-423-2666.
You'll be glad you did!

73, Scott
KA1CLX

No moles, no bees, no cling free, my antennas don't shine, and I still don't
know where true north is. <G>