[TowerTalk] ground rods and connections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ground rods and connections
From: w2up@itw.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 17:03:36 +0000
Hi gang - I was re-reading some of the archives on ground rods, etc.
on the reflector today, in preparation for some impvement in the
tower ground. This brought up a few questions:

1. When you have mulitple ground rods in series (spaced at twice
their depth) what is the best way to connect them, and with what
material? For example, if you use #4 solid copper, do you run it as
one long piece (meaning, not cutting it) and clamping it, and
intersperse the ground rods, or do you cut it to length and clamp
each piece with a separate clamp (meaning two clamps on each
"middle" rod)?

2. If using copper strap instead of round wire (this
is better, isn't it?) how do you bury it? and how do you connect it
to the rods? Can the strap be Cadwelded?

3. Speaking of Cadweld, I'd like to hear from someone who has
actually done this and find out the details.

4. How long do 8 ft copper ground rods last in average soil?
My system has been in 7 years now. Should I just start over
with more rods, assuming corrosion has done its thing, or try to find
where I left off 7 years ago (may not be easy with it all buried)
and continue the daisy chain?

Tnx/Barry

--
Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up@itw.com