[TowerTalk] Determining your Co-ordinates

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Determining your Co-ordinates
From: dietz@texas.net (Chuck Dietz)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 22:53:50 -0500
Bill Fleckenstein wrote:

> Hi:
> Does anyone have a good way to locate exact co-ordinates (deg,min,sec)
> on a USGS topo map ?

The coordinates are listed in the margins.  Use a square or straight
edge to draw straight horizontal and vertical lines from your target to
the closest of the left or right margins and to the closest of the top
or bottom margins.
        The initial coordinates are listed at the bottom right hand corner of
the map.  Find where your lines intersect and use a metric straight edge
between the coordinates on either side to calculate the number of
degrees, minutes and seconds from the lower coordinate.
        You can think of each part of the map as being like a square with major
longitude and latitude lines being the sides.  (Of course they are not
perfectly square)  To get youe location to the "nano-nit" you just have
to measure the distance between the major lines and interpolate.

If I have not made myself clear, please feel free to call me on the land
line in the afternoons at 713-626-8171.

Geographically yours,

Chuck, KE5FI