[TowerTalk] noise

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] noise
From: ki0dz@juno.com (Mary-Frances R. Bartels)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:44:45 MST
On Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:12:52 -0400 "Roger L. Elowitz"
<K2JAS@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>Hi Dick,
>
>re ignition noise and finding shielded distributor caps etc....
>
>My best guess is to look in a J.C. Whitney  automotive parts catalog.
   With all due respect I would NEVER deal with J.C. Witney.  Sure they
have a LOT of neat stuff, stuff that I imagine might be difficult to
find.  However, based on several interactions I've had with them over the
past five years I couldn't recommend the company.  Some of the stuff they
sell is, er, not the best quality.  I've had problems with absolutely
everything I've purchased from them and when I call (they don't have an
800 number) I get a big runaround (read: a large long distance phone
bill) and I'm finally told I need to write to some customer service
address but with the "assurance" that probably nothing can be done.  I
have purchased an antenna matcher (okay, now that I'm licensed I should
have known that the car antenna shouldn't be used for CB), solar panel to
charge the car battery (the plastic separated from the cells, decreasing
output dramatically, after just 24 hours of use) and a backup alarm
(plastic thing that clogs and breaks after a little dust or mud comes in
contact with it).
   Now, since this is not a "bash a vendor" reflector, I'll get off my
soapbox.  Apologies if I went on too long.

>I would also imagine that in a real pinch you could fashion something
>out of aluminum foil.... say the real heavy duty stuff used for
>baking.... and double or triple layer it.
   I'd recommend something like this.  Shows some creativity.  Perhaps
there's some other vendor of car "goodies"?
                                                      73,
                                                      Mary-Frances

Mary-Frances R. Bartels                         (((#)))     ^     ^
Amateur Radio Callsign: KI0DZ  DM79lt Denver, CO   |         ^ - ^
***Let ME scan your photos and documents!***    -------      (o o)
Ind. Rep. of Watkins products #92389            |ooOoo|    >{  |  }<
http://www.qsl.net/ki0dz                        -------           RRR)*