[TowerTalk] Chrome moly/SSV update

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Chrome moly/SSV update
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 13:49:09 -0800
At 11:43 AM -0800 10/6/97, Scott Bullock wrote:

>With great excitement, today I picked up the new mast-I ordered it as 4130
>Chrome Moly, random length, 1/4" wall, came in 24' long, all 95 pounds of it!

Over time there have been some great threads regarding the virtues of
Chromoly 4130 masts.  There is one thread in particular I remember, but
failed to save.

In essence the discussion was that not all 4130 was created equal, that
there was some manufacturing or hardening or =something= process that
altered the ultimate strength.  The bottom line being you wanted to specify
that your 4130 be obtained on the stronger side of whatever that process
was or that you should at least be aware of the process and its affects on
the mast strength.

I have checked the TowerTalk archives as best I can, but can't find that
particular thread.  Can someone re-educate the list (and me in particular)
regarding this process and its implications for us?

>--
>Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

By the way, the above Search: URL gives an error.  The correct one requires
that the last element be specified as search.htm .

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada (South of Reno)
http://www.qsl.net/w6old/