[TowerTalk] Climbing Alone

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing Alone
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 11:28:53 EST
In a message dated 97-12-13 08:31:33 EST, dietz@texas.net writes:

> I would like to add a suggestion that when you are pulling with a gin
>  pole put a pulley at the bottom of the tower so you can stand away from
>  the bottom of the tower.  I have used my riding mower to pull up tower
>  sections in this fashion.

    This is called a snatch-block arrangement. It changes the haul rope path
from vertical to horizontal. It also allows you to be a distance from the
tower so you have the haul line, load and tower workers in view at all times.
This is recommended at ALL times. If you're pulling the load up manually, you
can put the rope around your waist and use your bigger leg muscles to pull
rather than just your arm strength. If you're using a lawn mower or tractor,
go in reverse so that you can see everything that's going on.

    BTW, commercial crews use mostly hand signals for tower-to-ground
communications including crane loads. They are pretty universal and quite
handy. Especially if you have a lot of noise like your lawn mower or other
power equipment, traffic noise, etc.

73,  Steve  K7LXC