[TowerTalk] Painting a new mast?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Painting a new mast?
From: k4oj@ij.net (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 14:25:53 -0500
no matter what you do the moment the mast goes to be installed you will
have your first scratch, if it isn't scratch ed as it goes through the
bearing or tubetop the first beam you u-bolt to it will be slightly slid
up/down/around and your paint will be gone.

No matter what the paint the type of work we do with masts means they get
scarred up....since you have opted for a very hard alloy a side benefit of
that is that while it will rust like any other steel it will also not be as
weakened by the rust.

Ideally it would be hop dip galvanized but probably like most hams getting
that done is prohibitive either due to finances or a lack of a galvanizer
in your n neighborhood - or the pita (that's short for....) of hauling the
mast.

If you got it paint it - don't fret when it get scarred up...its gonna
happen, no matter what.

73, see you in the FQP

Jim, K4OJ

Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:

http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

What's an FQP? The Florida Contest Group is pleased to announce the
rebirth of the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP website@:

http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm