[TowerTalk] Painting a new mast?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Painting a new mast?
From: rudder1@ibm.net (Malcolm Clark)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:36:13 +0000
K7LXC wrote:

> In a message dated 98-03-23 00:07:54 EST, aa7bg@3rivers.net writes:
>
> > Doesn't a layer of rust actually act as a protector anyhoo?
>
>      From what? Rust is oxidation and the oxidation is the breakdown of the
> metal through corrosion to it's original elements. The rust will just get
> deeper and deeper into the metal until it breaks it down completely and your
> antennas land on the ground. This does take a moderately long period of time
> though.

Not necessarily.  Some alloys are designed to be self-healing.  That is,
their surface rust prevents the oxidation from progressing further.  If
the coating of rust is scratched, the scratch rusts and the oxide
coating regains its integrity.

I once worked in a building that had a roof made of a steel alloy
designed to rust.  We were a local landmark and known as the "Rusty Roof
Building."  It was actually quite attractive--once you became used to
it.

73 Malcolm KR4HP