[TowerTalk] more - Precip static

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] more - Precip static
From: k1ttt@berkshire.net (David Robbins)
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 19:51:11 +0000
Kenneth D. Grimm wrote:

> On the other hand, the addition of a "dummy" antenna (yagi, spikey
> thing, vertical or whatever) above the yagis that are to be used as
> receiving antennas is an intriguing possibility.  So, I'm planning on
> adding an aluminum extension to the top of the mast that will extend
> above the yagis.  One thing has me puzzled, however.  Tom says that it
> should be capped with a smooth rounded surface (toilet float?) and
> others suggest the use of the spikey devices.  I would appreciate
> comments on how far above the yagis this extension would need to reach
> to do it's thing and also whether the rounded end is more likely to
> reduce precip noise than the spikey thing.

a rounded object above the antenna would most likely do nothing at
all.  the smooth object would not induce any extra corona that would
create the charge cloud that would reduce the field strength below
it.  the spikey ball would be the thing to put above the yagi to
try out.  what i don't know is if the corona caused by the spikes
would be louder than that caused by the antenna itself or not.  if
they work as advertised the discharge from the spikes would start at
a lower field strength which should create less noise.

--
David Robbins K1TTT (ex KY1H)
k1ttt@berkshire.net   or   robbins@berkshire.net