[TowerTalk] more - Precip static

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] more - Precip static
From: n8ug@juno.com (n8ug@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 15:01:25 -0500
   Those "spikey things" keep cropping up, with an occasional reference
to us, so we can't pass up the opportunity to toot the horn once again
about the "Porcupine" static dissipator which we have sold for a number
of years. There is always a controversy as to whether they are of value
or not, but the overwhelming testimony in their behalf as lowering
lightning risk devices is positive. Negative comments are, for the most
part, from two camps: theorists and mfrs of equipment. The approach seems
to be how to DEAL with lightning, rather than avoid it.
   We find it hard to dispute their good performance, given the ever
increasing sales, the numbers of them showing up on state, municipal, and
industrial facilities everywhere we travel, not to mention the multiple
thousands of lightning rods on rural buildings everywhere, quietly doing
their thing.
    We do a seminar and demo that certainly proves the principle and
always elicits further testimonials and "I wish I woulda" remarks, and in
deference to the theorists, there are as many that are for as there are
against.
   The biggest problem we've encountered is cost - commercially made
devices are un-attractive to ham radio budgets, for the most part, and
those available to the public through the marine equipment vendors all
seem to be priced according to the formula:
"If you can afford that pricey boat, you surely can't complain about the
500 to 800% markup on a dissipator."
   We've now undertaken the manufacture of several models in our shop,
plus raw material kits for those who want to assemble. We'll also E a few
paragraphs as to how we've made 'em from the junk box over the years, if
interested.
   We apologize for the limited info on these items on our web site -
haven't had time, and the various models are not finalized, but we are
shipping the modest cost ($10 to $20) models at present.. The top of the
line models are 4-6 weeks away, awaiting delivery of the special
"quills."
   Thanks for your time and the "platform."

Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC, 29356
Sales(800)727-WIRE(9473) or cqwire@juno.com.
Tech help (864)895-4195 or n8ug@juno.com
www.thewireman.com
Our 21st year!

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]