[TowerTalk] Re: Cutting guy wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting guy wire
From: RHealy@mdsroc.com (Healy, Rus)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 09:16:03 -0400
Larry Burke wrote:

(2) Any innovative ways to cut EHS out there (short of using bolt
cutters,
which I don't have but guess I could always buy, beg, or borrow)?

NJ2L: For a small number of cuts (one or two), I've used the blood,
sweat and tears hacksaw method of K1VR. It works. I've also used a cold
chisel and a 5-pound hammer on a steel block. Much, much better. Better
still is a set of bolt cutters. I bought one this weekend (I have to
break up about 990 feet of guy wire real soon now). It's foreign, rated
for materials of "medium hardness" up to 3/8 inch diameter and "hard"
materials up to 1/4 inch diameter. Set me back $25 at Chase-Pitkin, the
local home-center chain like Osh or Home Depot. I could have bought a
bigger one, but figured this would do the job. I've cut the stuff with
bolt cutters before, and I think it is the only way to go for numerous
cuts, though K7LXC's grinder method is less effort, more noisy, and
throws copious sparks, all of which are appealing to most guys.

Remember that no matter what method you use, you need eye protection and
a good set of gloves. EHS guy wire is evil stuff with a mind of its
own--like Copperweld plus 10 dB.

Cheers.

--73, Rus, NJ2L