[TowerTalk] Launching dipoles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Launching dipoles
From: W7NN@aol.com (W7NN)
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 00:44:21 EDT

<< Anyone have any safe and fairly effective ideas on launching dipoles
 into trees?  I have numerous trees that go up a good 60 or 65 feet, but
 no way to really get anything up there.  A cherry picker or fire truck
 is sort of out of the question, I can't afford that stuff.

Two locals - Fred K7NZ and Don N7OTV are famous in these parts for installing
160 Meter delta loops in trees.

Don and his able assistant Fred use an 8 foot 3 legged ladder.  They attach
aproximately 3 feet of heavy surgical tubing to each side of the top plate and
terminate the tubing in a rubber pouch.

Getting under the tree, they align the slope of the ladder to their target
limb, load it with a 4 oz fishing weight tied with monofiliment fishing line
to a spinning reel, and fire away.

They can easily achieve accurate launches of up to 125' height.

It's pretty simple but works amazingly well.

73

Ron
HamStuff by W7NN
QSL Systems and Contest Aids