[TowerTalk] Accessory control cables

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Accessory control cables
From: jbwolf@concentric.net (James Wolf)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 18:46:20 -0500
> > I have done the same thing. I fabricated an aluminum panel the same
> > thickness
> > as the aluminum window and placed bulkhead coax connectors in it. I then
> > grounded the panel to the main ground outside and used it as the ground
> > distribution, also. I ran rotor cables through drilled holes and sealed
> >them with caulking. ----snip-----
> > Tom, K5RC

Why not get a terminal strip, mount it on the bulkhead,  loop each control
cable
around the screw and attach an MOV to each screw and then other end to a
self tapping screw into the bulkhead.

I have done this for two Rotor cables and other switching cables as well.
There is enough stuff to unplug in this shack that if I saw the lightning
coming
I'd never get it disconnected in time.

KA9A,  who had everything unplugged in his shack,  still lost equipment ( some
of it mine) due to a close strike.  There was even a fuse in a power cord of a
power supply that was blown and it was sitting in the middle of the floor and
neither end was connected.  I have seen the results of "unplugged" cables arc
to the metal frame of a wooden desk then to another piece of equipment and do
just enough damage that it could just possibly be repaired.  A worse case
senerio, IMO.

Never let anything enter the shack without it being protected before it passes
through the wall.  This includes everything.  Coax, control cables, AC power,
and even sunlight.  The last being the toughest. <g>

James Wolf, KR9U