[TowerTalk] Disconnecting cables and lightning (questions --

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Disconnecting cables and lightning (questions --
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 12:26:17 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-05 09:42:53 EDT, 10eesfams2mi@mass1-pop.pmm.mci.net
writes:

> Now how on earth (pun intended) can that conductor "collect" enough
>  charge to arc over to a cloud thousands of feet away without arcing
>  over to earth LONG before that point?

     Differences in humidity of different parts of the air? Differences in
ground conductivity/resistivity? Non availablity of a good 'arcing' parth?
Height above ground?

>  2.) I don't disagree a wider copper flashing has less inductance than
>  a narrower "something else", but I disagree with the contention that
>  the flat shape is always better because it is flat. A one inch
>  wide flat conductor has about the same inductance as one inch
>  diameter conductor of the same length.

    Inductance may not be the issue. The copper strap has much more SURFACE
AREA and has much more contact area with earth than a copper wire. In ground
system construction in poorly conductive (rocky) 'soil', using 3 inch or more
copper strap greatly improves the performance of the ground system.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC