[TowerTalk] Vertical?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical?
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 15:09:24 -0700
Tom Rauch wrote:

> I've observed over the years most vertical manufacturers promote two
> radials cut for each band, or a few ground rods, are enough.

Hi Tom.
You know, a single ground rod gives a great SWR reading and makes the
vertical real broadbanded with all the ground loss.  For some people,
that is the main thing they are after.  When radials are added, it makes
the SWR increase as it gets closer to 36 ohms resistance.  I had quite a
chat on 80 about a 40 meter vertical system I was building.  As I added
more radials, the swr kept creeping up a bit.  I told  him this was
better and he thought I was nuts. 73
Tom W7WHY