[TowerTalk] Vertical?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical?
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:32:32 -0700
I don't.
73, Bob AA0CY

----------
From:  Tom Rauch[SMTP:10eesfams2mi@mail20.MCIONE.com]
Sent:  Thursday, June 11, 1998 2:41 PM
To:  Lee Buller
Cc:  towertalk@contesting.com
Subject:  Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:          Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:41:54 -0500

Having had all major types, I agree with Lee....

> From:          Lee Buller <k0wa@southwind.net>
> I like the Butternut verticles.  yes, they work better with a ground plane,
> but I have used them with an 8 foot ground rod.  Worked well.  I've also
> used the copper pipe plumbing in the house as a ground plane also and worked
> well.  Again, short radials are better than no radials.

All no-radial verticals suffer greatly when mounted near earth. If
I was in that fix I'd just buy a Butternut, and install as much
ground system as I possibly could.

If the wire is on or in the ground, you needn't pay much attention to
length. Just use as many radials as long and straight as possible,
and use ground rods at the ends if the radials are real short.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com