[TowerTalk] Vertical?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical?
From: dafouche@jax-inter.net (David Fouchey)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:52:37 -0400
At 08:18 PM 6/11/98 -0700, you wrote:

>GAP Titan gets my vote (I have one). Been using GAPs since 1990
>and satisfied. Actually a conventional 1/4-wave trapped vertical
>such as the 14AVQ with an eight foot ground rod works very well.
>Back in the mid-80's a friend and I livewd about 2 miles apart in
>similar topographical conditions. We both ran TS830S and 14AVQs
>except that his was ground mounted and had one or two four foot ground
>rods in fairly conductive and homogenous soil and mine was roof mounted
>(up about 20 or so ft) with six radials per band in a spoke pattern. We
>both contacted the same station in Texas on (I think) 40m SSB. My friend
>was down "only" one "S" unit. On the meter but the Texan said we were
>equally strong and loud in his headphones.
>73, Bob AA0CY

I've never used a Gap antenna, but the 14AVQ has been a work horse for me
off & on for many years. Spectacular performance? Not hardly, but a general
purpose simple rugged and darn near fool proof one it is. Put one over a
superb radial system or over a salt marsh/salt water ground and the
situation becomes much more attractive. Just got my third used one and
refurbished it to use as a much needed close quarters antenna. Too many
trees to put up the beam's and even difficult to get dipoles up where I
need them. Suppose I will get around to trying one of the newer verticals
some day, but....

73's
Dave
wa4emr