[TowerTalk] Vertical?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical?
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 07:39:32 +0000
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:          Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:18:18 -0700
> From:          Bob Wanderer <aa0cy@nwrain.com>
> Subject:       RE: [TowerTalk] Vertical?
> To:            "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>,
>                "'UpTheTower@aol.com'" <UpTheTower@aol.com>

> both contacted the same station in Texas on (I think) 40m SSB. My friend
> was down "only" one "S" unit. On the meter but the Texan said we were
> equally strong and loud in his headphones.
> 73, Bob AA0CY

A testimony to the AGC systems! My receiver produces the same
volume and sound from about S 3 to 60 over nine!

I still prefer the extra few dB for pileups or ragchewing, that's why
I like efficient verticals like the Butternut instead of coax stub
loaded antennas with their inherent inefficiencies.

QST had a nice review of the GAP antenna, it makes good reading.
Measurements here agreed with the trend in the QST review.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com