[TowerTalk] Loose vs Lose and There, Their, They're

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Loose vs Lose and There, Their, They're
From: clewis@ro.com (Chuck Lewis)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 20:05:08 -0500
Guy L. Olinger wrote:

Nice story of a misunderstood farmer whose outward appearance belied his
competence...clipped:

> "However, folks began to notice that his crops were steady, most
> noticable in marginal years. His fields always looked the best. The
> smart folks in those parts began asking him what, when and how he was
> going to plant, which proved very profitable. In time, the stories and
> rumors disappeared, and folks accepted him for who he was."

So how long did it take for the "smart folks" to recognize his worth?
How many opportunities did he miss in the meantime?

Good or bad, and to lesser or greater degrees, we all judge others by
the way in which they present themselves. For many of us, the way a
person communicates is a strong indicator of the value of the message.
Call it form over substance if you wish, but, lacking any other
indicators, we form first impressions from first appearances. Like a bad
CW fist or slurred speech, lousy English starts us off badly.

As a practical matter, language (whether English or digital) loses
functionality when it fails to follow the rules of syntax (or spelling).
We call ourselves COMMUNICATORS....why aren't we more protective of the
language we use? Oh yeah, it's a "dynamic, living thing", and common use
defines what is later considered acceptable; but in the meantime, we've
lost precision, something we techies ought to hold pretty dear.

> I thought this was a reflector on tower-related technical issues. I
> would listen to K7LXC correct spelling or not. And I want to hear
> people's experiences, correct spelling or not.

Me too! Actually, Steve's English is pretty good; so is L. B. Cebik's,
Tom Russel's, Stan Griffith's and a host of other technical experts we
rely upon. Kinda makes the point, doesn't it?

Sorry, gang; I'll absorb the flames...it was worth it!

Chuck, N4NM
--who left in at least one mistake...only God is perfect ;>)