[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Pullout Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Pullout Strength
From: ka4inm@gte.net (Ron Youvan)
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 98 19:22:31 PDT
T A RUSSELL said:
snip
I don't believe a few inches of pullout will allow a tower to fall.

W1EVT told me he decided to install insulators in one
of his 140 ft Rohn 25 towers to make a 160M elevated GP.
They had to loosen the upper guys to where they were
almost hanging along the tower before they could jack it up.

de  N4KG
snip

  Did he slack ONE cable until there was little or no tension, then move tho
the next one?

If one cable loosens and the other two are maintaining tension, they will TRY
to pull the tower over.
If ONE (or two) legs "KINK" she* will come down.

With out any wind, a tower will stand with NO guy cables, without any problems.
(assuming it is plum)
Guy cables add loading to the tower, they pull down on the tower, pretty much
their weight + the tension.

The higher the tension the greater the chance of tower failure.
There is a correct tension, any MORE IS BAD!

* anything with speed, beauty, style or grace is often refered to in the
feminen gender!

      73  de Ron ka4inm@qsl.net    Best Regards
  VISIT my HAM WEB SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm/
VISIT my OTHER WEB SITE at: http://home1.gte.net/ka4inm/