[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Pullout Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Pullout Strength
From: gscholten@michamber, com@vixa.voyager.net (Gale)
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 11:00:32 -0400
T A RUSSELL wrote:

> "If an anchor pulls out even part way
> the tower could be loose enough to fall. "
>
> Gale  N8GS
>
> HUH?
>
> Please explain "loose enough to fall".
>
> I don't believe a few inches of pullout will allow a tower to fall.
>
> W1EVT told me he decided to install insulators in one
> of his 140 ft Rohn 25 towers to make a 160M elevated GP.
> They had to loosen the upper guys to where they were
> almost hanging along the tower before they could jack it up.
>
> de  N4KG

The slack that is created then lets the tower slam around until
something breaks or collapses.  Every time the tower bangs into that
loose guy wire it disipates its kenetic energy as well as the wind load
energy into the guy system.  Most storms are not instantanous events,
they hammer on the tower for several minutes or even hours.

Sometimes I make my answers too brief but at least good questions come
from that.

Gale
N8GS