[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G or 45G?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G or 45G?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:38:05 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-16 16:21:45 EDT, w7ni@teleport.com writes:

<< If you tensioned all 18 of these guys
 to 400 pounds each they would impart only 7200 pounds if all the tension
 were directed straight down, which it is not, so the total downward pull
 from the guys would be considerably LESS than 7200 pounds.  The weight of 12
 sections of 25G is only another 480 pounds.  This is no where near the
 capacity of the tower under compression.

     Sure - at zero wind velocity.

>>Of course, you need more capacity
 since the wind will tension the guys more and there will be more downward
 forces acting on the tower because of that.  So I disagree that compressive
 capacity is the normal limiting factor of these towers.   >>

      I was merely reiterating what I remember from a previous post by N0YVY,
a real engineering-type.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC