[TowerTalk] BEE STINGS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BEE STINGS
From: k1zat@dsport.com (JD Delancy)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 19:33:37 -0400 (EDT)
Tom

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, T A RUSSELL wrote:

> near as intense as these stings.  The bees were skinny and
> about 1/2 inch long.  Could these be the dreaded African
> Killer Bees?   Do they live in the ground?

As far as I know, killers dont live in the ground.

> How does one get rid of these pests?  This happened just
> before sunset. Besides night time, when are they LEAST active?

I had a nest of them in my front yard when I first moved in,
got hit five or six times.  It was about September, so I found
the hole in the ground, put the running mower over at the lowest
setting possible at full throttle for five minutes.  Then
poured some hot oil down the hole.  After winter came and
assuming that they were in "winter sleep", dug up the hole,
found the nest, wrapped it in a plastic garbage sack and took it
to the dump.  They've not return in five years.

> Final question, HOW  DOES  ONE  PROTECT ONESELF
> while cutting the rest of the lawn?  I never saw these
> suckers and I was looking!

Walk over the yard looking for a hole, about the size of a half
dollar.  That will most likely be a nest. Avoid it or destroy
it the best you can.

    jd