[TowerTalk] BEE STINGS (Getting the buggers)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BEE STINGS (Getting the buggers)
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy L. Olinger)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:57:56 -0400
Hi,

> Walk over the yard looking for a hole, about the size of a half
> dollar.  That will most likely be a nest. Avoid it or destroy
> it the best you can.

My wife doesn't really like poisons being used around the house, which
keeps up a search for alternative means. The one I like best for wasps,
etc:

I have an old electrolux that I keep around, almost everything on it is
broke, but it still sucks air. I put a new bag in it, and attach the
hose to several 10' lengths of alumnium 1 1/2 inch tubing and run the
end up to the entrance to the nest. Turn on the vacuum and let it run.
The presence of the noisey thing right at the nest entrance gets the
buggers really peeved. As they zero in for the sting they get sucked in.
Probably moving 50 mph when they whang the back of the bag chamber in
the electrolux. Just like hitting a windshield.

Every time a wasp is sucked up, it makes a distinctive "thwung" which
you can hear from some distance. It's kinda like doing popcorn in the
microwave...when you haven't heard a pop in some time...it's done.

At that point, *without turning off the suction*, remove the hose and
spray your usual bug-zapper into the opening. Leave it running for a
while. Then remove the bag and dispose. Poison goes with it, not in the
ground. Once the bag weighed 3 pounds.

Referencing some of the other posts, in this method it's best to get
them when they are *most* active. Remember the ones that are out
foraging. They may take an hour or two to get back. Another advantage:
the meanest ones come out first.

May you never be stung (especially by the super wasp).

73, Guy.