[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Problem...maybe

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Problem...maybe
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 21:20:10 +0000
On 24 Jul 98, Greg Clark <g.w.clark@cummins.com> wrote:

> I may be in a oinch here...not sure yet but I'm going to assume that I
> am.
>
> I went to turn my 15/20 stack last night and noticed that the rotor was
> not moving.  I had my daughter activate the brake and I could hear it
> popping...so the wedge is working (T2X).  I then went up the tower and
> had my helper attempt to turn the antennas, the rotor growled with no
> antenna motion...I then grabbed the 20m boom and gave a big pull.  The
> antennas then took off.
>
> The problem seems to be some type of binding in the thrust bearing.  As
> the antennas rotated, I could feel a considerable catch....I'm assumming
> in the bearing...that would momentarily bog the rotor down.  It would
> then pop through the catch.
>
> Right now, the bottom antenna physically is sitting on the bearing
> collar.  Maybe the race has been damage with all of the wind...I have no
> idea.
>
> My next step will be to bump the bottom antenna off of the bearing and
> loosen the bearing to see if it spins freely. If not.....what do I do?
>
> My option is to "build" some type of bearing in-place on the tower or
> remove 2 large mono-banders plus a big mast.(which I would like to
> avoid).
>
> Any suggestions??  I've heard of a wooden bearing....is that something I
> could do??
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Greg
> K9IG

Greg - Before you start replacing big stuff, check the motor starting
capacitor in the control box (pins 4 and 8). If you have another
control box in the shack, just take the 2 wires in the cable off pins
4/8 and connect across the cap. terminals in the other control box.
Otherwise, replace the cap. and give it a try.
GL/Barry
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com