[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Problem...maybe

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Problem...maybe
From: ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 19:55:10 -0700

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-07-24 15:52:44 EDT, g.w.clark@cummins.com writes:
>
>       What kind of bearing is it? Is it one of those machine shop pillow
> blocks that uses an allen screw to hold the mast or is it a real outdoor
> thrust bearing like a Rohn? The pillow block types are not meant to be used
> outdoors and they WILL rust.
> Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC

These pillow block bearings can be reasonably protected.
My Dad has had one on top of his tower for at least 15 years. He went to the
effort to fabricate a weather shield out of readily available heating/ac ducting
components to end up with a cover that is sealed and attached to the mast and
clears the top of the tower by 1/8". This prevents water from going directly
into
the bearing. He also got a bearing with a grease fitting. I don't think he
greased
it more often than once a year.
Last time I was up there, about a year ago, it was still rotating away, a little
noisier than the time before, but definitely not grinding itself to pieces.
15 years isn't so bad!

Won't the steel bearings in the Rohn bearings also rust? I'd think that when
they
do, they would really make a mess out of the aluminum races.
73, Kurt
--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress