[TowerTalk] Lateral Forces on Tower Base?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lateral Forces on Tower Base?
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 07:34:47 -0600

On Wed, 05 Aug 1998 00:43:18 -0700 Kurt Andress
<ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us> writes:

>snip<
>
>There has been some discussion on this reflector about guyed towers
>and
>what is happening in them. I have seen arguements about why (or why
>not)
>a Mfgr, or other somebody, tells us to use (or not use) a pier pin
>foundation, some fellow put a bunch of towers up on concrete block
>footings because "there are not lateral loads on a tower base", guy
>wires don't stretch, and a host of other fairytales about the subject.

>big snip<

>73,Kurt

OK, if you dispute that the lateral forces are NOT zero (or near zero)
at the BASE of a tower,  would you kindly explain the origin and
magnitude of these lateral forces you claim to exist?

When there is NO  WIND, I cannot fathom any lateral forces at the base
of a guyed tower.

When there is a wind, the only lateral forces I see would be due to the
(small) wind force against the bottom few sections, below the first set
of guy wires, and these are shared between the ground and first set of
guys, not to mention that the wind near ground level is highly abated
by trees, buildings, and the earth itself.  (The wind load of Rohn 25
tower is approximately 2 sq. ft. per section.)

de  Tom  N4KG

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]