[TowerTalk] Lateral Forces on Tower Base?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lateral Forces on Tower Base?
From: ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 01:12:11 -0700

froemke@ibm.net wrote:

> Kurt, is there a model available for Rohn 25G that I could use to look at the
> mechanical stresses for my next tower?
>
> Jim, K0MHC

Jim,
Sorry, there are no models that you could effectively use to do whatever it is
you anticipate doing (see my response to K1VR).

I strongly recommend that you diligently follow the Rohn/ EIA specs for the
installation!

This thread was caused by my irritation about the fact that, since I subscribed
to this reflector, every comment about tower behavior neglected the effects of
the stretch behavior of the the guying lines.
I just felt compelled to say it isn't so!
I figured it would cause a firestorm, which it did, I now know why I waited so
long to say it!

>From the responses, I'd say that there are two completely different camps on
>the
subject.
Those that get it and those who don't.
Well, that's  really good, because people are, at least thinking about it!

Those who want to continue in denial can do so at their leisure. Those who want
to use the information to pursue a more accurate solutions can also do so!

I'm done with this subject! I fully stand behind my claims that wire stretch is
important and can have devastating impact on guyed structures. Believe it or
not!

73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress