[TowerTalk] Lateral Forces on Tower Base?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lateral Forces on Tower Base?
From: baycock@hiwaay.net (Bill Aycock)
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 08:11:43 -0500
Tom- let me stick in my comments- not as an expert on towers, but in
understanding what Kurt said.

1.- his entire set of comments were in the context of the actions that take
place when line stretches.

2. when lines stretch, the longer lines stretch more than the shorter ones.
(ie, the top guy grows more than the lower ones) this is because the
stretch is the same per unit length, and the upper ones are longer.

3. if the top guy has stretched more, the tower is going to try to bend
around the support point of the shorter guy, puting a force TOWARD the
wind, on the base. Imagine what would happen if the upper guy were made of
rubber bands, and the base was on wheels.

Bill- W4BSG

At 07:34 AM 8/5/98 -0600, you wrote:

>OK, if you dispute that the lateral forces are NOT zero (or near zero)
>at the BASE of a tower,  would you kindly explain the origin and
>magnitude of these lateral forces you claim to exist?

Bill Aycock   W4BSG
Jackson County, AL
EM64vr
W4BSG is "vanity" this time, but was