[TowerTalk] Parting comments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Parting comments
From: ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 02:25:33 -0700
Forgot to say a few things that may help a few fellows,
For guyed towers,
My analyses have found that when the wind blows in line with a set of
guys, the guy line loads are maximized and the tower bending loads are
minimized.
When the wind blows exactly between two sets of guys, the guy loads are
at their lowest value, and the tower bending loads are at their highest
value. This is caused by geometry completely!
Since, there are apparently many who can't understand how wires stretch
etc., there are many more comments to come regarding how it doesn't
matter what direction the wind blows. You guys get to sort this thing
out! Believe it or not!

Oh yeah, why are all of the Rohn tower footings deeper than they are
wide?
If the tower loads were pure compressive (I.E. pushing only down), they
would have spec'd  very shallow footings that were 1' deep and 3'
square.
Since, they spec deep footings, compared to the vertical footprint, one
might assume that they think that some kind of lateral loads are
present, and need to be counteracted by the obvious depth of their
footing.
What do they know? Obviously precious littlte!
When in doubt, do what the tower manufacfturer says!
Sorry I suggested that guy wires might not have infinite stiffness!
CUL,  Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress