[TowerTalk] TOWER GUYING and Apology

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TOWER GUYING and Apology
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 04:25:44 -0600
N4KG   comments  interspersed in text -

On Thu, 06 Aug 1998 02:25:33 -0700 Kurt Andress
>ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us> writes:
>
>Forgot to say a few things that may help a few fellows.  For guyed
towers,
>My analyses have found that when the wind blows * in line*  with a set
of
>guys, the guy line loads are maximized and the tower bending loads are
>minimized.

        Most of us are now in agreement that  maximum  GUY
        tension occurs when the wind is PERPENDICULAR to
        one of the guys in a 3-way system, which is at 30 degrees
        to the primary load bearing GUY.     de  N4KG

        The TOWER  load appears to be minimized when the wind
        is IN  LINE  with a guy as stated.    de  N4KG

>When the wind blows exactly between two sets of guys, the guy loads
>are at their lowest value, and the tower bending loads are at their
>highest value. This is caused by geometry completely!

        I still disagree with the first part of this statement.  When
        the wind bisects two guys spaced 120 degrees, the GUY
        tension should be EXACTLY   EQUAL  to the tension in
        a single guy when the wind is IN  LINE  with that guy.
        This results from the simple relationships in a 30-60-90
        degree triangle where the forces along the short leg are
        1/2 the forces along the hypotenuse.   These TWO cases
        represent the lowest GUY tension conditions.   de  N4KG

        Assuming EQUAL tension in two guys when the wind
        bisects those legs, AND that this tension is equal to
        the tension in a single guy when the wind is in line
        with that guy, the TOWER  load from the bisecting
        case  will be TWICE that of the IN  LINE case since
        there are now TWO guys with equal tension pulling
        down on the tower.   This results in the maximum
        additional load on the  TOWER. (Pretension loads
        not included in this analysis, only the additional load
        due to  wind).          de   N4KG

Apology to Kurt, NI6W and the group.

Some have taken my original reply to Kurt as a personal attack.
My intent was to question the conclusions and methods which
lead to those conclusions.  I certainly meant no offense to Kurt
personally.  I can see where my wording left something to be
desired and for that I apologize to Kurt and the group.

This is a perfect example of what can happen when one does
not proof read, mull over, and edit one's response.   I usually
do in fact  re-read and edit most of my posts before sending.
In this case, I hurriedly posted a reply while getting ready for
work and sent it off.  I will endeavor to be more careful!

de  Tom  N4KG

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]