[TowerTalk] refurbish a Thrust bearing ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] refurbish a Thrust bearing ?
From: g3vbl@netcomuk.co.uk (Chris Pedder)
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 20:57:18 +0000
At 15:23 12/09/98 +0100, k6ll wrote:

>Add up all the resulting forces to get the total side force on the
>rotor. The answer is the same regardless of whether or not the rotor
>is supporting the dead weight of the antennas and mast.
>
>Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
>San Diego, CA
>K6LL@juno.com

Although I am not an engineer (I'm a mathematician by training) I heartily
agree with Dave. Where I do disagree with you guys on the other side of the
pond is in the correct use of a 'thrust' bearing! My concern about your
obsession with taking the load on the 'bearing', as opposed to allowing the
rotator to do the job for which it was designed, is that poor alignment is
likely to cause binding which will prematurely wear and/or damage the rotor.

I even believe in crank-up towers and, what's more, in guying them.... my
tower is rated for such use. For the 80 foot and 115 foot crank-up towers
available in this country, guying is mandatory.

Best wishes,

Chris G3VBL