[TowerTalk] Mast alignment was:refurbish a Thrust bearing?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast alignment was:refurbish a Thrust bearing?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 19:42:47
One of the best tips anyone ever gave me for ensuring mast-to-rotor
alignment was to first carefully center and tighten the rotor-to-mast
clamps, then tighten the rotor-to-shelf bolts, and finally tighten the
shelf-to-leg u-bolts.  It's self-aligning that way.  By the same logic, you
would want to tighten any mast bearings last of all.
For that matter, the local big tower guru talked me out of using any sort
of bearing at all for my tribander, suggesting instead that I use a Rohn
pointy-top.  As he says, a bearing that isn't there can't seize.  They even
come with a location for a set-bolt, so that when you need to remove the
rotor you can just pry the mast up, set the bolt, and pull the rotor at
leisure.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"